- 2¼ cups potatoes, boiled, skinned and mashed smooth with salt
- 1 1lb beef or lamb mince
- 4 large onions, chopped finely
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped finely
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped finely
- juice of one lime
- oil for frying
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a casserole and add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions until they caramelize lightly.
- Then add the ginger, garlic, green chilies and continue to fry the mixture until fragrant, a couple of minutes
- Turn up the heat. Now add the mince, salt and pepper to taste and fry the meat until browned lightly. Lower the heat and continue to cook the meat until cooked through,
- When cooked through, remove from the heat and toss with the herbs and lime juice. Set aside to cool until needed.
- Take a portion of the cooled mashed potato (please note this works best when the potatoes are very cold they should be refrigerated for best results) and flatten it to form the shape of your palm (it should be about ¼ inch thick). If the potato is too sticky grease your palm with some oil. Cup your palm a little to form a pocket.
- Add a tablespoon and a half of the cooled mince mixture to the centerof the flattened potato pocket. Enclose the filling by drawing up the sides of the potato and cover the filling completely so no minced meat is visible. Continue the same process with the rest of the mashed potato and mince.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a wide frying pan. Roll each of the potato chops in some egg and then breadcrumbs before frying until the each potato chop is golden brown.
- Serve hot
- Alternate method:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a pyrex pie dish with a little oil.
- Using about half of the potato mixture, line the bottom of the dish
- add a layer of the cooked minced meat
- Add another layer of the potatoes
- Sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and cook about 45 minutes
- Cut into pieces and serve with a sumac salad. Enjoy
One Comment on “Yummy Kubbi Potato balls Recipe .. Must try at home”